Whether you’re a city dweller or have outdoor space, becoming your own farmer’s market is as fun as it is delicious.
With the warmth of summer comes the opportunity for outdoor activities that are rewarding for the whole family. Grow your own mini garden and enjoy a family meal with your harvest! Teach your children where some of their food comes from.
As a part of our Sunlight Activity series, our next activity involves planting your own herb garden by up-cycling used Hellmann’s® jars and turning them into individual planters. Even if you don’t have access to outdoor space, these will make a perfect windowsill project that will be fun to watch grow, and eventually wind up in your meals.
The photos below show this activity using herbs, but feel free to branch out by growing other small vegetables and fruits.. You’d be surprised how many cherry tomatoes or raspberries you can get out of a small plant!
What You’ll Need:
· Six 8-ounce jars (glass or plastic) – such as an empty Hellmann’s jar!
· Potting soil (enough to fill all your jars)
· Small pebbles
· Various vegetable, fruit and herb seeds (choose your favorites). Cilantro, basil and even bell peppers are great choices
What to Do:
· Step 1: Rinse out your jars to remove any food or debris, and label each jar with a marker or decorative label to indicate which vegetable, fruit or herb will be grown in each jar.
· Step 2: Fill your jars one-quarter full of pebbles covering the bottom to provide some drainage.
· Step 3: Add soil up to the top of the jar, leaving about 1 inch of space, and use your finger to make a hole for your seeds (refer to your seed packet to determine optimum depth for proper growth).
· Step 4: Place seeds in soil (refer to seed packet to determine how many seeds to use) and cover with more soil.
· Step 5: Water gently daily – be sure not to allow the water to pool or puddle – and place in a sunny area (windowsill, porch, etc.).
· Step 6: Try out your home grown goodies with delicious summer recipes like Black Bean & Corn Salsa with fresh cilantro from www.hellmanns.com, or Chicken & Basil Rice Stir Fry using your home grown basil and bell peppers from www.knorr.com.
Join the conversation using the hashtag #brightfuture and send us updates on your Sunlight Activity progress.